I picked up a copy of Jose Garces’ “The Latin Road Home” from the LA Public Library the other week, and every time I thumb through it, my mouth starts watering. The other night I decided to make his recipe for Rajas con Hongos (Roasted Poblano Chiles with Mushrooms), which I used as a taco filing along with Mexican rice, grated cheese and homemade tomatillo salsa (recipe will follow soon!).
Here’s the recipe (adapted):
- drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 white onions, thinly sliced
- 4 large handfuls of crimini mushrooms, chopped in half
- 4 roasted and peeled poblano chiles, cut into strips (for instructions on roasting poblanos, click here)
- 8 diced cloves of garlic
- salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro (optional)
- small corn tortillas
Toss the onions and mushroom in a saucepan with olive oil and cook for approximately 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the chiles and garlic and cook for approximately 5 more minutes. Add salt, pepper, and cilantro. Serve over a warm corn tortilla, along with your other favorite taco ingredients (fresh salsa, rice, cheese, cream etc.) Enjoy!