I’m back to blogging! Resurrecting my blog is a perpetual New Years resolution. This year, though, I accidentally deleted my blog when I ran a wordpress.org migration (WHOOPS!), so it’s taken me a while to get back up and running. I’m going to wholeheartedly try to chronicle my food adventures more regularly going forward.
This winter, I’ve really gotten into making homemade Chirashi and spicy tuna rolls. There’s a new market that opened up near us in Baltimore called Streets Market that has a pretty great selection of frozen Ahi Tuna and sushi grade fish that has been a really fantastic resource.
A few weeks ago, when I ran out of tuna and it was too cold to go outside, I decided to create this dish – a spicy tuna melt. It’s a classic tuna melt with spicy Japanese mayo and fresh green onions, and it’s become my go to sinful winter comfort food meal.
The trick with making perfect tuna melts (or grilled cheese sandwiches), is really on how you set up the bread. I’ve discovered that spreading the outside layer of bread (that will touch the pan) with both mayonnaise and butter creates the perfect crispy crust.
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 can of tuna
- 1 scallion/green onion
- mayonaise (I use Japanese Kewpie Mayonaise)
- gluten free bread (Aldi’s white bread is my favorite)
- sharp cheddar cheese
- butter (unsalted)
- Make the tuna. Open a can of tuna into a bowl, and add in 1 chopped green onion, a generous squirt of sriracha, and a generous spoonful of mayonnaise. Mix thoroughly and taste, adjusting mayo and sriracha as necessary.
- Spread two slices of bread with a thin layer of butter and mayonaise. This will become the outside of the sandwich.
- On the inside of the sandwich (the sides without butter/mayo), place three slices of cheddar cheese, and several spoonfuls of the tuna filling. Close the sandwich
- Place a skillet on medium heat, add the sandwich (no butter/oil is required on the pan as the sandwich outsides already have butter). Place a lid on top. Cook for about 2-3 minutes until one side is brown and crispy. Press down on the sandwich with a spatula, and then flip.
- Cover the pan again, cook the other side of the sandwich until it is also golden brown.
- Slice diagonally and enjoy immediately!